Beginning a new fitness regime can be an ultimately confusing task with so many options available. It’s easy to get involved in an activity simply because it’s comfortable and you’re not sure what other options you have.
Many times we forget that our bodies are built differently from one another and therefore we are compatible with different activities. If you’re forcing yourself to engage in an activity that does not promote happiness or motivation, it may feel like you’re stuck in a rut. Exercise is key to the release of good hormones and happy feelings so it’s really important to do something you enjoy.
If you dread your workouts, you may need to branch out and explore other topics of interest. Here are a few ideas to jumpstart your fitness regime.
- Contact a respected trainer for some personal training sessions. Sometimes we just need a little guidance to give our workouts a boost. A trainer will guide you in the right direction.
- CrossFit is a great sport for many people because it is challenging and exciting but also very rewarding in regards to performance. Many boxes provide free community classes once a month open to everybody, so invite a friend to the next class and challenge yourself to lift heavy!
- Take a bike ride down a nearby path after work and enjoy the sunset. Sometimes all it takes to get motivated is new scenery.
- If you’re a bodybuilder, try new types of lifts or begin a different training regime. Switch from isolated exercises to compound and change the rep range. Muscle confusion keeps your body changing and your routine fresh!
- Ask a friend to be your new training partner. Pick a time that is convenient for the both of you and keep each other accountable to reach new fitness goals.
- Enjoy a swim at a local pool. Swimming is a challenging and fun sport that works every muscle in the body!
The trick is to continue to explore different avenues until you find your niche. Passion is the base of all success, and in order to succeed in your fitness goals you must be fueled by your passion. Don’t feel like you have to stick to the fitness regimes of others, but instead find something that sparks total excitement in you alone. There are many different types of exercise and you should feel free to explore them all before settling for something anything less than enjoyable.